Definite your role(s) before you meet the students
Get thinking about who and what your company needs before the speed dating event. This shows the student that you're certain of what you can offer them. Consider the following:
- The kind of work you need done i.e. a specific project, part time or a trial for a permanent role?
- What activities or tasks will the role involve i.e. programming, content writing, website design, business analyst reporting etc?
- What are the 'must have' skills or prior experience required for this role?
- How the student will fit in with your company? Will they be working with a specific person or the whole team?
- What can you offer the student? For instance, mentoring, industry exposure, ongoing employment etc.
Get them talking
Warm up the interviewee with a brief introduction about yourself, your business or the role on offer.
Avoid the hard interview questions which could put them on the spot (i.e. the often despised “What’s your biggest weakness?) Focus on keeping it conversational, i.e.:
- “Tell me about your passions".
- “What skills can you bring to the table?”
- “Why’d you choose x degree?”
- “What would you like to get out of working with us?